Thursday, May 12, 2011

Poem by Common

I woke up with the sunshine
A sunshine I had never seen
There was light at the end of it
Reminded me to forever dream
I was dreaming I walked into the White House
With love on my sleeve
And love for each and every one of you
Reminding you to believe
These are the words of a believer, achiever
Leader of the globe
feed the souls of those in need
I bleed the blood of the struggle
Walking over troubled puddles
The hustle is in my chest
No hustle no progress
Extremities of life in this process
The birth of a son
The death of another
With love I caress both mothers
And told ‘em whose in control is the one that’s above is
I walk where money talks and love stutters
The body language of a nation
Going though changes
The young become dangerous
Spent into anger
Anger gets sent through the chamber
It’s tough when your own look like strangers
We are the sons of gangsters and stone rangers
If he could how would Ernie Barnes paint us?
Look at the picture
It’s hard not to blame us
But time forgives in the Chi where the young die often
Do they end up in a coffin because we haven’t taught them?
Is it what we talkin’, we really ain’t walking
Dudes, hustlers, paid
How much did it cost them?
I find myself on the same corner that we lost them
Real talkin’ in their ear like a walkman
My thoughts been around the corner to the world
So when I see them I see my baby girl
The Lord lives among us
The youngest hunger, recover
Means to get it by anyways necessary under pressure
Children feeling lesser with the spill upon the dresser
Killer, willer aggressors
Destiny’s children, survivors, soldiers
In front of buildings their eyes look older
It’s hard to see blessings in a violent culture
Face against rappings
Sirens holsters – that ‘aint the way that Langston Hughes wrote us
So controllers on the shoulders of Moses
And Noah
We go from being Precious to Oprah
Cultivated to overcome
Ever since we came over
Seize the day in the way that you can see the determined
The soul that keeps burning. Shorty’s know to keep learning
Lessons in my life are like stripes that we earning
I took Grant’s advice that Christ is returning
Like a thief in the night
I write for beacons of light
For those of us in dark alleys and park valleys
Street hits spark valleys of the conscience
Conquerors of a contest
Even the unseen know that God watches
For one King’s dream he was able to Barack us
One King’s dream he was able to Barack us
One King’s dream he was able to Barack us


Read more: 
[Video] Common Performs At White House Poetry Night | Necole Bitchie.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment